Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Jazz and High School

Just two thoughts tonight as I head to bed (FYI, I am actually in bed as I type due to the wonders of wireless internet).

Thought one: I am fairly sure that I am a lover of Jazz.  Honestly.  I am listening to evening Jazz music tonight on KUER 90.1 and I dig it.  It's groovy.  It makes me feel like dancing.  It's so mellow, and there is something about it that almost instinctually matches my mood.  I am feeling a little melancholy, and the music is right up my alley.

Thought two: I went to the high school weight room for a while tonight.  As I was leaving, I felt a twinge of sadness.  There is something about being around eternal youth, young bodies with fresh faces, that makes it difficult to think about growing old.  I feel old today.  And I wonder: would I feel less old if I did not work at a high school but instead worked only with adults? Would I feel more old if I were still working at a jr. high?  

I have no answers, but, man, today I am all jazzed up about feeling old.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I do not envy you, being surrounded by young, beautiful people all day every day. If you worked with grown ups, you would not feel so old. But you would BE so old. Does that make sense? Working around those teens will keep you young for a lot longer than the rest of us, even though you won't look any younger. Besides, those students won't be young and beautiful forever. Eventually, we all hit the 25+ age bracket. It all evens out in the end, right?