Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Week 2: Blogging as Therapy

When my older sister moved to England, she set up a blog to help her keep in touch with the rest of us while she was across the pond. It has been a great way for us to get to know her little boy because she posts pictures and video of him. When they came to visit over Christmas, I felt like I already knew him because her blog has given such a good record of his young life. My other sisters jumped on the band wagon and finally, not so long ago, I joined the blog craze as well. My personal blog can be found by clicking here. That said, I really like blogging, but I think there is a certain amount of hubris one must have to become a blogger. For me, it is not about other people reading my blog, but it gives me a chance to express most of what I feel in a very modern, effective way; my blog acts as a sort of therapy, I suppose. I enjoy changing my backgrounds, playing with fonts, and just being a blog-geek in general. There are many things that I do not know how to do, but I am still learning. :) 

This week's lesson asked that I pay attention to the 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners.

Lifelong learning is a belief that learners can and should be open to learning new skills and ideas at all ages. I would like to think that I am a lifelong learner.

Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind
Habit 2: Accept responsibility for your own learning
Habit 3: View problems as challenges
Habit 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
Habit 5: Create your own learning toolbox
Habit 6: Use technology to your advantage
Habit 7: Teach/mentor others
Habit 7 ½: Play

Of the habits listed, I am best at is Habit 6 (use technology to your advantage). Almost on a daily basis I find myself learning and using new technologies. The habit that I seem to struggle with the most is habit 7 1/2, the habit of play. I do not plan enough playing time into my schedule.  Advice to you and to me: play, be curious, and read! 

No comments: