Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Week 7: Tagging, Folksonomies, and Technorati

This week I learned about a strange site called Delicious. I am still trying to wrap my mind around its uses. I spend about 1/2 hour wandering through the site and still cannot think of a practical, personal application. I watched a short tutorial that was meant to help me but was only moderately successful. Delicious is a social bookmarking service for sharing web links. It uses a key word categorizing system. It is a "folksonomy" because it is a peer-driven taxonomy. Delicious allows one to a) Build a reading list, and b) build a syllabus. According to the podcast tutorial, it allows one to connect with other learners.

I am not sure that I care to add myself to Technorati...but I was partially willing to play the game. One high point: when I read about tagging I was inspired to label my posts for easier website navigation! I spent some time looking for other blogs I read and I must admit that the Technorati site does a nice job of helping me find blog things.

No comments: