Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday School

This morning I woke up early to prepare a Sunday School lesson. It has been many moons since I have been in front of the single's branch with a lesson, and something in my heart is seized with a sense of panic when I consider teaching once more.

Mind you, I teach on a daily basis. And sometimes when I am teaching even at the high school I am struck with a terror beyond that which I can express. I look out at 30 students and consider the fact that they are looking to me to guide them, to offer knowledge. I make peace in that context because I am the expert. I understand acutely the concept of parallel sentence structure. I can explain misplaced modifiers in a way that students actually enjoy.

But this?

Sunday school?

I know the gospel is one of truth. I understand that. But I feel like I do not know enough to teach another soul.

And so, here is my admission of shortcoming. I am prepared to teach a lesson, but am afraid that again I may panic and fall apart.

UPDATE: Thank you for your love and prayers and most of all, your presence. I survived it, and am so grateful that you are in my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krystle, my Krystle. I remember when you used to teach at Westminy. You always did such a wonderful job. :) I don't doubt for a minute that it would be any less.

kriddlec said...

Hey Anonymous! Who are you?

Jamie said...

Hi Krystle, Martin here. I think that everyone knows so much more than me every time I give a lesson and I have VOLUNTEERED to do a Sunday school lesson this week, to a bunch of people who have been members for there whole lives and were probably baptised by Joseph Smith! But I just ask lots of questions and let them do all the talking, because lets face it, old folks just want to talk!

I know how you feel and it sucks, but each time I go in thinking how much my lesson is going to suck it up, I come out and everyone tells me how great the lesson was!

So just relax have fun, and remember, we are all learning, right?